<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 20, 2004

Howdy Howdy Howdy! two days have past so quickly! tis now the 19th (well, now its actually the 20th! Good morning!) and tis time for another Blog post! :)

You ever get the feeling that you dont know what to Blog about? theres heaps of issues youd LIKE to talk about but for one reason or another, you cant or wont. for instance. Id like to talk about what i think about Original Sin and the Fallenness of man. But that would require a lot of research and backing up (Biblical old school style) and Recentley ive been so tired :( Hopefully ill be able to come back to this soon enough!

I would like this Blog to be readable! not just a random collection of thoughts! i want it to be entertaining! cause Comedy is cool! :) I dont want whining, because thats self-serving. AND I DO HEREBY SWEAR THAT I SHALL NEVER EVER MENTION THE PHRASE "The One" or "THe One for Me" EVER AGAIN ON THIS BLOG! :P jeez, i mean i look back at some of my archives and i go.. what the heck was I on at that stage?! well, at least i can learn from my mistakes! :D

Well, i guess Ill talk about My lack of Passion for Music teaching! thats not whining, but its something id like to get some opinions on, cause its really bugging me. Especially since i know there are a lot of musos out there in Blog-land who could lend a hand?

Why do I want to teach music? whats the purpose? How can I serve God through teaching Music? I mean, Music can be used for Praise and Worship, true enough. But how can you teach praise and worship in class?
Some may say that its the relationships i build, and the way i act in front of my students that will help them in their paths towards God, but with today's increasingly grey world of equality and post-modernism, teaching is so heavily drugged with policies and legalities that you arent allowed to say or do anything like that without fear of losing your job and your professional respect.

Music. One of my lecturers, a great bloke who i look up to a lot, said that one of the goals of music teaching is: "To make whole human beings". Thats cool. I like that. but its not what i want. I want to make human beings see God. I also think that the performance and carreers of musicians.. what are they? i have many muso friends who are taking that route, and why are they doing it? to earn a living yes. but what do they gain out of it. the personal satisfaction of being able to create music, and having that talent recognised by others through concerts and the like. music like this seems to be very self-serving. thats why i worry. unless we are using musical skills to worship God, we seem to be focusing on ourselves. i dont think i want to do that.

I love History. I love the grounding it gives you. it helps you understand the context of things, and especially religion. I think it helps you make a firmer case about Christianity. I enjoy it. i have a passion for it. I would love to spend time in Europe and the Middle east studying dig sites and delving into ancient manuscripts, to find some kind of truth that i could use to convince others of God's existence and love for them.
Not so with music. I have lost the passion i once had for it. and my marks are reflecting this. I am just getting the pass mark - (4) for my music subjects, because i just cant seem to gather together the effort to do well in them anymore (usually at least 5 or 6).

Why do i Play Viola? Why do i Play Piano. is it because im just too stubborn to give up? what happens when i achieve my AMus in Piano. what does that prove? to who? how does it help serve God?

We had a lecture in Education the other day that kinda put things in perspective. it gave us the 'stages in a teacher's life' thing. spanning from the first 5 years, to the 5-10, 10-25, 25-30, 30-40, 40-50. How depressing is that. I definately dont want to be teaching for the next 50 years of my life! I dont want it to be like that! I think theres so much more stuff i can do! so many better things that i could devote myself too.
Missions, telling people about God.
Ideally I want my carreer to be one that involves God on a daily basis. I want to talk and discuss him all the time. i want my life to be about God. Because he is the only thing that matters.

ARGH! why music! I started playing Piano because my parents took me to lessons when i was in Grade 1. Now here i am, planning to make a carreer out of it. but why? because i was ok at it i kept on going. because i didnt like the idea of quitting, i perservered. I took up Violin in Grade 3, and in grade 7 changed to Viola. I was in Bands, Orchestras, Ensembles, Choirs, Musicals, Music classes, outside school lessons, Music camps.. My life was very musical, my brother too plays piano. i dont know.. after all this time.. i cant see the point to it.

The point of life as i see it, is to serve God. If i cant see myself doing that in my chosen career, then am i heading for the wrong one? i need inspiration i need direction. I need to know that what i am doing is for God's glory, and that i wont be more effective in other areas!

My friend (who is an Ex-Kiwi! :D) told me about the 'Mercy tours' today, where you pay about 6k dollars and you go on a mission work thing in the Middle east and other locations. that sounded so so so cool. but so did archaeology when he was talking about it. I want to learn Hebrew and Arabic so i can go over there and i dont know!!!!! I just cant see the point to being a teacher, well, more specifically a MUSIC teacher here! my life revolving around parents, other teachers, choirs orchestras, musicals, students and music... argh... opinions would be very much appreciated!

Ecclesiastes is a damn depressing book. :P

SAM! (im not unhappy, just uninspired! (oh krap.. the ads are going to come back arent they! :P)



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?