<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 06, 2004

"We are not brainwashing! are we?"

Heya all! :) feeling fighting fit? for finding fine friends from far fields forms firm foundations featuring fun!

now i dare ya to beat that alliteration! really, it makes sense! :D well it does to me! :P had a history of Warfare lecture today (well..yesterday now!) that was about Oceanic warfare! The Maoris had a segment in there! :) a fierce lot indeed! (does anyone know the words of the haka?)
I have decided to stop with the randomness for a while and deliever this medium depth post about indoctrination.

The Other day when i dropped into work for a quick bite to eat, I was talking to a co-worker of mine, and he mentioned to me that his son had just seen had the Moses story (Prince of Egypt) shown to him at his state school, and had come home to ask: "Daddy, Who made the World?" Now My work mate is an agnostic, and he was pretty stumped as to the answer to this question. He told me that he told his son that some people believe that God made the world, and others believe that No one made the world, and it just evolved on it's own (Creation and Evolution). He said to me that this situation is so hard, and what should you say in this?

Now, before i get to the juicy part, id just like to say how i think it's very cool that a state school is showing the Prince of Egypt to it's students. I'm wondering if this is part of an RE course? if so, this is an EXCELLENT idea. that movie is so cool. It obviously had an effect on My co-worker's son! :D

THe main part here, is that I worry we may be indoctrinating our young people. Tying back into the blind faith issue, children believe what their teachers and parents tell them without questioning. as we grow, we build on those beliefs, and only later start to question.
I believe that it is everyone's right to make their own decisions in their faith lives, even though there is only one Love, one God, one Way, there is also free will. How can i equate this with telling my children one day, that God made the universe, knowing they will take my word as absolute without questioning. I think this is a good thing.. but im conflicted. Am i presenting one side of the story without giving equal weight to the other? should i give my children that option?
i know thats what society says I should do, but i feel i shouldnt. but then the historian inside me says you have to look at all sides to know the whole story, and the informed faith part of me agrees. i just dont want to be seen to be forcing my ideas onto my children. But at the same time, i want them to know the God that loves them!
What to do?!

Meanwhile, good news! :D The Daily planet has called me into work tomorrow (this) morning, from 9-12! this means i can have 2 hours more sleep than i usually would (usually waking up at 5:30 to work at Civic Video)! :D

Another dilemma: Tomorrow (tonight) night, I am doing A Bible Study for our youth group. I think i will be doing Sects Education! (thanks for that Fraser! ^_^) its kinda shaping up to be good, but i hope God will make it even better! :D

Shalom my Brothers and Sisters!
SAM



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?